About the job
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The period of employment of this position is 3 years, with possible extension due to teaching. The position will be in the Thermodynamics group at the Department of Chemistry at NTNU, and also part of Porelab, which is a research centre of excellence within Porous media.
PoreLab is a Norwegian Center of Excellence created in 2017 and situated at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim, and the University of Oslo (UiO)
The Center, which is supported by the Research Council of Norway, is an interdisciplinary Center with joint efforts in theory, computer simulations and experiments, in fundamental and applied directions. The center works to advance the understanding of flow in porous media. The main goal of the center is to develop theories, principles, tools and methods to reduce the trial and error approach to porous media with relevance in biology, chemistry, geology and geophysics based on fluid mechanics, non-equilibrium thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.
Further information about PoreLab can be found here: https://porelab.no/
Information about the department of Chemistry at NTNU can be obtained here: https://www.ntnu.edu/chemistry
The PhD position will be within Research theme 8 of Porelab which concerns the use of improved theories to describe transport in porous media in important applications. The objective of Research Theme 8 is to apply knowledge from Research Themes 1-7 to: 1) Design more efficient electrochemical systems such as batteries and systems with ion-selective membranes. 2) Describe moisture migration in insulation materials. 3) Enhance the understanding of biological systems. 4) Study porous materials for transport and storage of hydrogen. The PhD candidate will work with one or several of these topics.
You will report to Professor Øivind Wilhelmsen.
Duties of the position
- Carry out research within thermodynamics and porous media science.
- Write academic papers and submit them to international scientific journals.
- Participate in international scientific conferences.
- Complete the mandatory courses for the PhD.
- Write a PhD thesis using academic papers as basis.
- Defend the PhD when completed.
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background.
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master’s degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- Master’s students can apply, but the master’s degree must be obtained and documented by starting date of the position.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty’s doctoral program (https://www.ntnu.edu/nv/phd)
- Excellent written and oral skills in English.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Phd candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Excellent competence and background in thermodynamics.
- Interest for and competence on porous media science
- Experience with and interest for programming.
Read more about the position and apply here: PhD Candidate in Thermodynamics and Porous Media Science (254826) | NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology (jobbnorge.no)